Western Regional Alliance (WRA) members are actively engaged in efforts to accelerate delivery of key global transportation projects within the Intermountain West Region (IWR). The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) awarded a grant to the Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG), on behalf of the Intermountain West, to jumpstart a multiphase effort. The Intermountain West Transportation Management Areas (TMAs) are key partners in providing data for this process. This multiphase effort will include:
- Conducting outreach to identify needs and potential gaps as related to transportation and data resources.
- Developing a GIS common operating vision/platform for easier data information sharing.
- Aligning expectations for a long-range vision to move people and goods in the region.
- Developing a report that includes a risk register and plans for future data integration and collaboration.
The IWR is vital to the long-term economic vitality of this nation. Once fully developed, nationally significant corridors within the region would strategically link east-west and north-south movement of people and freight. Now is the critical time to address the transportation network and other infrastructure in the region, thereby improving the economies of both the region and the nation and enhancing global competitiveness. When policy makers in the Intermountain West unite, they succeed in accomplishing great tasks. Collaborating now on long-term strategies for multimodal transportation will ensure that the region will be able to:
- Move goods and people.
- Compete for international trade.
- Connect communities, major trade hubs, existing and future domestic and international deep water ports, and intersecting transcontinental roadways and railroad corridors.
- Enhance the economic vitality of communities connected and served by the corridors.
- Improve safety, travel time and reliability for the movement of people and goods throughout the IWR.
For more information please visit the SHRP2 Grant page on the Maricopa Association of Governments website.